Egbertville can be described as the title used to describe the neighborhood that lies directly amid but is classified within the East Shore of the borough of Staten Island, New York City. It is named after a family who owned a farm at the turn of the century Egbertville has been known at some time for a time as Morgan’s Corner since 1838; within a short time, many Irish families settled in the neighborhood, which led to it being called (somewhat humorously) by names such as Tipperary Corners, New Dublin as well as Young Ireland.

Albertville is situated in the middle of the Staten Island Greenbelt, with the park’s administrative offices in the area. Richmond Creek runs through a ravine called the Egbertville Ravine after the neighborhood, which runs through the eastern part of Lighthouse Hill. The primary thoroughfare of the community is Rockland Avenue, which provides an avenue to connect New Dorp on the East Shore and the bustling New Springville section of Mid-Island.

Stony Brook

The land that surrounds Egbertville and the adjacent Lighthouse Hill was first settled in the 1660s by immigrants Dutch, French, and English farmers. A hamlet was built in Stony Brook, now Egbertville — and was made the county seat after Richmond County was established in 1683. According to the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission, several farms were set up. However, much of the land remained undeveloped. In 1700, several Native American trails in the region were cleared to create simple, leveled roads for wagons: Arthur Kill Road, called Fresh Kill Road, opened in 1694. Richmond Hill Road was laid out in 1701, and finally, the road towards Stony Brook was developed in 1705.  1728 was the first time Cocklestown was chosen to be the county seat and was named Richmond Town. A new courthouse for the county was built in 1728. In 1729, the original road leading to Stony Brook was closed, and Richmond Road was opened to Egbertville and New Dorp. EZ Bed Bug Exterminator Staten Island

An intersection at Richmond and Amboy streets at New Dorp — the junction of two routes that lead to Philadelphia. The meeting meetingveloped into a major crossroad served by various inns, including the famous Rose and Crown and Black Horse Tavern and Black Horse Tavern, both operated by the Vanderbilt family (both destroyed). Albertville was initially an agricultural community named in honor of people from the Egbert family who settled mostly on Rockland Avenue. Based on Staten Island historians, Covert Egbert was the one who chose Staten Island in 1660, the city’s Parks Department reports on its website. The descendant of his, Jacobus was the father of Teunis Egbert who’s his son John Egbert was born in 1751.

George Egbert played an active part in Staten Island public education. The proprietor of Egbert’s Men’s Shop in Tompkinsville was appointed in 1901 as a member of the Local School Board 53 by the then-Borough president George Cromwell.

Restaurants Nearby

  • The Canton’s restaurant is on 1825 N Railroad Ave, Staten Island, NY
  • Tommy’s Tavern Tap is located at 2655 Richmond Ave, Staten Island, NY

Look into other neighborhoods, such as Eltingville